Thursday, March 24, 2011

Mushroom cloud

This is an animation showing all of the nuclear detonations that have occurred between 1945 and 1998:


That means it misses the one in North Korea in 2006... though there's some debate as to whather that was a successful test.  I'm not sure whether India or Pakistan conducted any more tests after 1998.  I don't think they did but I'm not entirely sure.  Anybody out there know for sure?

It's impressive how many detonations there were... and especially the 500-or-so above-ground nuclear detonations there were before the above ground nuclear testing ban went into effect in 1963.  There's a level of insanity there that bears some meditation.

If you have any (more peaceful) suggestions for the Animated Map Thursdays please let me know.

5 comments:

  1. I loved the article, I found it quite complete .. Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the content of the article, I found it very good! And I also liked the blog itself, I recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the blog, thank you for sharing, good

    ReplyDelete