Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mohorovičić discontinuity (Earth's Moho mojo)

From Randall Munroe's XKCD. This one hits close to my heart because I am a geologist by training as was my father... who underwent an life-ending event a year ago.  So maybe this should be taken as a fond remembrance of him .

I'll have to agree with Munroe's sentiment here: Contemplating what lies beneath... and how thin the crust actually is... can be quite unnerving... in the most bewilderingly fascinating kind of way.  So turning to this animation as a kind of zen relaxation technique seems appropriate.

At the actual webcomic, hovering over the image reveals this additional message in the "title-text":

If you're a geologist or geophysicist and you don't introduce yourself by saying your name, then gesturing downward and saying "... and I study that", I don't know what you're doing with your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment